ArchiveOrangemail archive

Rockhounds@drizzle.com: A mailing list for rock and gem collectors


rockhounds.lists.drizzle.com
(List home) (Recent threads) (5 other Drizzle lists)

Subscription Options

  • RSS or Atom: Read-only subscription using a browser or aggregator. This is the recommended way if you don't need to send messages to the list. You can learn more about feed syndication and clients here.
  • Conventional: All messages are delivered to your mail address, and you can reply. To subscribe, send an email to the list's subscribe address with "subscribe" in the subject line, or visit the list's homepage here.
  • Low traffic list: less than 3 messages per day
  • This list contains about 34,125 messages, beginning Jan 2004
  • 0 messages added yesterday
Report the Spam
This button sends a spam report to the moderator. Please use it sparingly. For other removal requests, read this.
Are you sure? yes no

Look for Direction to Crystal Hunt at Lolo Pass

Ad
(beckste)1082920751Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:19:11 +0000 (UTC)
We are driving by Lolo Pass area this summer and could love to spend a day crystal hunting but have not a clue of location for a good hunt.  I have not found a good map or directions for this area.   Anyone able to help me on this.   Thanks so very much.

Barb 


--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts ---
multipart/alternative
  text/plain (text body -- kept)
  text/html
(Tim Fisher)1082947262Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:41:02 +0000 (UTC)
You want to ask Lanny Ream. Last time I was there it looked like a war zone 
and the crystals were hsrd to come by...but that was 15 years ago (!)
At 07:20 PM 4/25/2004, you wrote: >We are driving by Lolo Pass area this summer and could love to spend a day >crystal hunting but have not a clue of location for a good hunt. I have >not found a good map or directions for this area. Anyone able to help me >on this. Thanks so very much. > >Barb >beckste@w-link.net
Tim Fisher Ore-ROCK-On! Web Site: http://OreRockOn.com CD of Oregon rockhounding sites: http://OreRockOn.com/CD Lapidary Materials: http://OreRockOn.com/lapidary Knapping Materials: http://OreRockOn.com/knappers Fossils & Other Stuff: http://OreRockOn.com/for_sale Rockhound's Bookstore: http://OreRockOn.com/rock_bookstore
(Lanny)1082974808Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:20:08 +0000 (UTC)
Even more so now Tim.

Access is easy by taking the road that goes north from the Visitor 
Center at Lolo Pass. The road leaves the highway just a little east of 
the pass. Follow it for 6 miles (everyone tells me 5, but it measured 6 
on my truck); it winds around the hills, then drops down to Granite 
Pass. It's a good gravel road, some moderate grades, we towed a trailer 
up it with no problem. As you come to the pass, there will be a road 
that takes off on your right back at an angle to the southeast. Follow 
it to the rocks that used to block the road (they've been moved enough 
to allow a vehicle through). Most people park here. Find the path that 
goes north, down the hill into a dug up area and dig there (about a 10 
minute walk). Smoky quartz crystals are in a gravel layer on clay from 
about 1 to 3 feet down.

Any place in this area from Granite Pass east, west, north and south 
(even along the access road, even south of Lolo Pass) could be 
productive. There are other areas where people dig a lot, but I 
couldn't describe access easily.

It's a tough place to collect. On an FM trip last July, one of our 
group of 8 digging there found two small crystals in the spot described 
above. Of the other dozen people collecting there, I heard of only two 
other small crystals being found that day. Yet all of those others 
would tell stories of big finds.

Someone undercut an area there late last summer, it collapsed on them 
and killed them. The word was that the Forest Service was going to 
close the area to collecting because of the danger; don't know if they 
did, rumor is they didn't.

I'm still waiting for them to close a lake to fishing the next time 
someone falls out of his boat and drowns, or closes the forest to 
hunting the next time a hunter is shot, or closes the mountains to 
mountain climbing the next time a climber falls to his death... So why 
do they pick on mineral collecting/rockhounding?

Good luck,

Lanny
On Apr 26, 2004, at 2:41 AM, Tim Fisher wrote: > You want to ask Lanny Ream. Last time I was there it looked like a war > zone and the crystals were hsrd to come by...but that was 15 years ago > (!) > > At 07:20 PM 4/25/2004, you wrote: >> We are driving by Lolo Pass area this summer and could love to spend >> a day crystal hunting but have not a clue of location for a good >> hunt. I have not found a good map or directions for this area. >> Anyone able to help me on this. Thanks so very much. >> >> Barb >> > > Tim Fisher Ore-ROCK-On! > Web Site: http://OreRockOn.com > CD of Oregon rockhounding sites: http://OreRockOn.com/CD > Lapidary Materials: http://OreRockOn.com/lapidary > Knapping Materials: http://OreRockOn.com/knappers > Fossils & Other Stuff: http://OreRockOn.com/for_sale > Rockhound's Bookstore: http://OreRockOn.com/rock_bookstore > _______________________________________________ > Rockhounds@drizzle Mailing List > WWW: http://www.drizzle.com/~afox/rockhounds > Subscription Services: > http://lists.drizzle.com/mailman/listinfo/roc... > > >
(Tim Fisher)1082978641Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:24:01 +0000 (UTC)
I dropped down to the Crooked Fork from Granite Pass and there were more 
signs of digging along the road. Didn't stop because I was supposed to be 
doing my Masters' research lol. Stopped at the area in your book on the way 
back out & found the usual 2 or 3 broken crystals. 5.31 miles according to 
the topo...if it's the logging road before the Granite Creek road takes off 
at the pass; I don't remember anymore, unfortunately...
At 10:19 AM 4/26/2004, you wrote: >Even more so now Tim. > >Access is easy by taking the road that goes north from the Visitor Center >at Lolo Pass. The road leaves the highway just a little east of the pass. >Follow it for 6 miles (everyone tells me 5, but it measured 6 on my >truck); it winds around the hills, then drops down to Granite Pass. It's a >good gravel road, some moderate grades, we towed a trailer up it with no >problem. As you come to the pass, there will be a road that takes off on >your right back at an angle to the southeast. Follow it to the rocks that >used to block the road (they've been moved enough to allow a vehicle >through). Most people park here. Find the path that goes north, down the >hill into a dug up area and dig there (about a 10 minute walk). Smoky >quartz crystals are in a gravel layer on clay from about 1 to 3 feet down. > >Any place in this area from Granite Pass east, west, north and south (even >along the access road, even south of Lolo Pass) could be productive. There >are other areas where people dig a lot, but I couldn't describe access easily. > >It's a tough place to collect. On an FM trip last July, one of our group >of 8 digging there found two small crystals in the spot described above. >Of the other dozen people collecting there, I heard of only two other >small crystals being found that day. Yet all of those others would tell >stories of big finds. > >Someone undercut an area there late last summer, it collapsed on them and >killed them. The word was that the Forest Service was going to close the >area to collecting because of the danger; don't know if they did, rumor is >they didn't. > >I'm still waiting for them to close a lake to fishing the next time >someone falls out of his boat and drowns, or closes the forest to hunting >the next time a hunter is shot, or closes the mountains to mountain >climbing the next time a climber falls to his death... So why do they pick >on mineral collecting/rockhounding? > >Good luck, > >Lanny
Tim Fisher Ore-ROCK-On! Web Site: http://OreRockOn.com CD of Oregon rockhounding sites: http://OreRockOn.com/CD Lapidary Materials: http://OreRockOn.com/lapidary Knapping Materials: http://OreRockOn.com/knappers Fossils & Other Stuff: http://OreRockOn.com/for_sale Rockhound's Bookstore: http://OreRockOn.com/rock_bookstore
(Tim Fisher)1082980141Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:49:01 +0000 (UTC)
FYI I just spoke to the ST. Maries RD and the 281 Gulch area will be open 
Memorial-Labor Day as usual this year. Seems they did the test digging in 
the other gulches last summer and decided to move to another spot in 281 
lol. So much for EISs :))

Tim Fisher Ore-ROCK-On! 
Web Site: http://OreRockOn.com
CD of Oregon rockhounding sites: http://OreRockOn.com/CD
Lapidary Materials: http://OreRockOn.com/lapidary
Knapping Materials: http://OreRockOn.com/knappers
Fossils & Other Stuff: http://OreRockOn.com/for_sale
Rockhound's Bookstore: http://OreRockOn.com/rock_bookstore
(Kris Murray)1082980682Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:58:02 +0000 (UTC)
281 gulch being the same one they have been digging for about ten years?
I got a five ounce monster outta there in '95 :)))))
~KM
I have a perfect cure for a sore throat. Cut it. -- Alfred Hitchcock On Apr 26, 2004, at 11:48 AM, Tim Fisher wrote: > FYI I just spoke to the ST. Maries RD and the 281 Gulch area will be > open Memorial-Labor Day as usual this year. Seems they did the test > digging in the other gulches last summer and decided to move to > another spot in 281 lol. So much for EISs :))
--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts --- multipart/alternative text/plain (text body -- kept) text/enriched
(Tim Fisher)1082989863Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:31:03 +0000 (UTC)
Yes it's been there for a while now...it was moved from No-Name Gulch 
sometime after the late 80s when I was last there...
At 11:57 AM 4/26/2004, you wrote: >281 gulch being the same one they have been digging for about ten years? >I got a five ounce monster outta there in '95 :))))) >~KM >I have a perfect cure for a sore throat. Cut it. -- Alfred Hitchcock >On Apr 26, 2004, at 11:48 AM, Tim Fisher wrote: > >>FYI I just spoke to the ST. Maries RD and the 281 Gulch area will be open >>Memorial-Labor Day as usual this year. Seems they did the test digging in >>the other gulches last summer and decided to move to another spot in 281 >>lol. So much for EISs :))
Tim Fisher Ore-ROCK-On! Web Site: http://OreRockOn.com CD of Oregon rockhounding sites: http://OreRockOn.com/CD Lapidary Materials: http://OreRockOn.com/lapidary Knapping Materials: http://OreRockOn.com/knappers Fossils & Other Stuff: http://OreRockOn.com/for_sale Rockhound's Bookstore: http://OreRockOn.com/rock_bookstore
(Jack Graham)1083010920Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:22:00 +0000 (UTC)
OK,

Now where is this?

Jack Graham
(Kris Murray)1083025741Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:29:01 +0000 (UTC)
clarkia, idaho <http://www.fs.fed.us/ipnf/rec/activities/garn...>
~KM
All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.  -
George Orwell On Apr 26, 2004, at 8:10 PM, Jack Graham wrote: > Now where is this?
--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts --- multipart/alternative text/plain (text body -- kept) text/enriched
Home | About | Privacy